I read this book as a gateway into theoretical applications of landscape architecture. It speaks of ways to use the land without abusing it, and also how we can create architecture to tread lightly in niche environments. It was a real delight to see how the project can make some interesting and light steps towards some of the book's main concepts. It definitely allowed me to explore some new crossovers in both Architecture and landscape architecture, where the two do not have to be separated into fixed categories, and can work as a unit.
Posted 15 May 2014 10:59
This was another design we created as we had some spare pallets to play around with. It was a sheltered component that would accomodate a laptop, and play a video of the intervention being built. This hut made use of a lot of the spare pallets, and as you can see from the picture above, there was next to nothing waste!
Posted 15 May 2014 10:34
The material we had to use had now changed to standard wooden pallets, and therefore the design had to be changed. Once we collected the pallets we started drawing, discussing and then arranging the pallets on new forms and shapes, with an array of functionalities.
Posted 15 May 2014 10:33
Those of us in the intervention team had met up to start building the structure. The shape is derived mainly from Leonardo Da Vinci's Arch which is a structurally stable way to design an arch. It was built around the tree in the open space in Chatham because the location of the final placement also changed. It was tied down with rope to the base of the tree for support, a covering of planks to control sunlight and hang the mushrooms from, and it also has benches/steps on either side for relaxing or getting to hard to reach places.
Posted 13 May 2014 20:28
The whole day was about understanding the process of economically growing mushrooms and the resourcefulness in local waste. We had a choice of pink, blue and brown oyster mushrooms, which could easily grow in a slightly damp container filled with coffee grounds. We all participated in the planting and the sense of community and doing activities together was enjoyable, which I feel helped us gain ideas about the design of the intervention.
Posted 13 May 2014 20:22
We started this project by working in groups of four and coming up with ideas of how we could use stackable plastic crates, that some local businesses offered to lend us, into an intervention that we could grow mushrooms and place in All Saints park. We all worked on this large roll of paper, and then would come to an agreement and pick the best idea. Our groups had several suggestions, and one of mine was to create an organic tree-like structure where we can hang the mushroom planters from.
Posted 13 May 2014 20:16