skip to content | Accessibility Information

Finish Exhibition
Posted 16 May 2014 18:09
The two negatives that form the component.
Posted 14 May 2014 11:55
We built a cardboard structure around the component that would allow us to build the casts. The casts were made out of Alginate a flexible and quick setting material.
Posted 14 May 2014 11:48
We realised the size of the component meant we would need a lot of them, and the time it takes to cast each component meant this is not practical. We therefore redesigned the component and increased it's size. This was 3D printed in 4 parts, which were then glues together, and we begin to create the mould.
Posted 14 May 2014 11:39
Number 13 was our favourite, as it had a relatively white colour, and took only an hour to set rock solid (for concrete this is quick). The mix was of 800ml of cement, 750ml of sand, 250ml, and 200ml of hardener.
Posted 14 May 2014 11:35
We decided to look at a stronger material than plaster. We looked at using various mixtures of Snowcrete (white cement), Postcrete (quick-drying ready mix cement), sand, water, and a hardener. We recorded each test's mixture and the time it was mixed and poured. We were looking for a good colour (preferably white) and a quick setting time.
Posted 14 May 2014 11:33
When use the mould to cast plaster, we found that despite the use of vaseline, the plaster stuck to the mould. As a result the component broke up.
Posted 14 May 2014 11:28
the two 3D printed negatives that we will use for our mould
Posted 14 May 2014 11:25