The installation is starting to take shape! Following the grid plan we had created was crucial in this stage, hanging each labelled thread in its correct position in order to create exactly what we had planned out.
Posted 17 May 2014 12:07
Deliveries at 9am: Timber, scaffolding, straps
After cutting the timber to size, we constructed the structure that sits in the galleries on either side, held in place by the pillars.
It took a day of testing and adjustment to span the net with the right tension over the required area using straps and rope.
Posted 17 May 2014 12:00
Testing and rigging the net on Tuesday 13th, before heading to Stocky P on Wednesday for the first installation day in St Marys church!
Posted 17 May 2014 11:44
FROM THIS ... TO THIS IN ONLY 2 WEEKS !
Posted 17 May 2014 11:34
Having made 4000 hats in 2 days, we spent the rest of the week making threads of hats according to the layered plan we had created. After a while we got quite fast at it, and having made 90 threads on wednesday, we managed to step it up to 300 threads on thursday, and were able to finish all 380 threads for the screen before the weekend. Next week: clouds of hats, same system, hopefully a few less hats!
Posted 11 May 2014 17:22
1:1 mockup from Friday 2nd May.
By making a 1:1 model we were able to try out different thread and fixing methods, to then find the most effective solutions. This exercise also allowed us to determine the density of hats required to block out everything behind the screen from view.
Posted 7 May 2014 23:30